I’ve noticed quite a few of my fellow bloggers have been doing some nice round-ups of fave movies, TV shows or other popular entertainments. Never wanting to miss a popular bandwagon to leap on, here is my own humble halfbananas listicle of my top five banana-related entertainments. Enjoy.
1. Bananas – Woody Allen’s hilarious tale of love, dictators and fruit
2. Pulp Fiction – Tarantino’s fruity masterpiece
3. Bananas is My Business – Carmen Miranda documentary
4. Herbie Goes Bananas -1980 thrillfest featuring the magical VW
5. Banana Joe – 1982 film about a man who grows bananas
I have to confess at this stage I have not actually seen numbers #3 #4 and #5 and am basing my recommendation purely on the movie posters. I hope to rectify this appalling oversight in the very near future.
It’s been a while since I saw the fantastic Pulp Fiction and I don’t recall exactly how many bananas were featured, but the spoof of the Banksy image suggests it must have been very fruity indeed.
In terms of music, there is an obvious standout in the Velvet Underground & Nico’s classic from 1967, full of tales of S&M, drug use and bananas. However there is strong competition from Britain’s fab Bananarama, Sweden’s Electric Banana Band and the Banana Song from Onision. I think you’ll agree the video for this last one is, er, unforgettable and possibly the best music video of all time.
1. The Velvet Underground & Nico – The Velvet Underground
2. Cruel Summer – Bananarama
3. Djungeljul – The Electric Banana Band
4. Theme song – The Banana Splits
5. Banana Song (I’m A Banana) – Onision
Art & Literature
I was going to do a top five banana-related books / paintings, but I got bored with the whole enterprise and decided to eat a banana instead.
If you know of any fabulous fruit-related narratives, or deliciously ap-peeling visual masterpieces you think deserve a mention, do tell.
Happy New Year!
Text © Copyright Jason Lennick 2016. All rights reserved.